A headstone (also referred to as a tombstone) is part of the grave and often has the deceased person’s name. Also engraved will be dates, such as their date of birth and death, to denote when exactly they lived. Sometimes the location where the remains are laid to rest may also be included. It can also contain a symbol or statement representing the deceased person’s life, beliefs, religion, and many more.
But how do you enhance a headstone and make it a richer attribute for your loved one? Here are some ideas that might help.
1) Adding a family crest or photo to a headstone will personalize the grave marker. This way, it becomes more than just a memorial but also an emblem of your family heritage and legacy.
2) Using an unusual headstone material will help turn a fairly dull remembrance into something more unique. For example, using marble or granite is common practice, but if you want to use other materials, you can have concrete or ceramic made. Some companies offer stones made from recycled glass, paper and even metal. Plus, you get the bonus of a personalized grave marker that is also eco-friendly.
3) You can personalize the entire headstone by engraving it with a textured design or even an embossed area where you can put images, photos and more. In fact, using different colours of stone will make it stand out even further from the average design.
4) Looking at a headstone as a whole, it should be symmetrical from left to right and from top to bottom. The best way to do this is to have the words carved into the stone, starting from one side and working across until all the writing has been completed. Then, you can work backwards by having the last line at the top and working down. This will make it look more like a book rather than an off-centre headstone.
5) You can enhance the image of your loved one by having their name engraved in capital letters. You can also get creative by using different fonts or letter styles to make the entire thing look like it was meant to be that way.